Something a little different, but definitely something good. Carrot cake pancakes ! They’re light, fluffy and completely delicious, perfectly spiced and topped with juicy plump raisins!
We definitely agree with GypsyKitchen that pancakes are for life! (Not just pancake day, or Sundays, or brunch). And as these are made with ingredients you’d normally have kicking around, you can enjoy them every day.
What you’ll need (to make 8 medium-sized pancakes)
• 2 tablespoons of linseed / flaxseed
• 180g of oats
• 2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon of baking powder
• 460ml of dairy-free milk (our favourite is oat!)
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus extra for frying
• A generous pinch of sea salt
• 1 medium carrot, grated, plus more for topping
• 50g of raisins, plus more for topping
How to make them ...
• Add the linseed / flaxseeds to a blender and blend into meal, then add the oats and blend again to form a flour.
• Add the spices, baking powder, salt, olive oil, and dairy-free milk and blend again to form a batter.
• Transfer to a bowl and gently fold the raisins and grated carrot through the batter. Add a splash of milk if your batter gets too thick and sticky.
• Heat the olive oil in a large, flat saucepan over a medium-high heat, then add a ladle of your pancake batter. Cook until bubbles form, then use a spatula to gently lift the sides of the pancake to see if it moves easily - if it does, it's ready to flip!
• Flip and then cool on the other side until it’s golden brown. Repeat the process until all of your batter has gone.
• Stack or serve however you please, and top with anything your heart/belly desires. Some ideas are: grated carrot, raisins, toasted walnuts, yogurt or creme fraiche of your choice and, of course, a generous drizzle of good quality maple syrup, or a sprinkle of coconut sugar.